July 10, 2009. Oysters and Heat

Great Oysters
Great Oysters


I didn’t go to the park last night because of the heat. I went to the noodle shop for a bowl of flat noodle soup with veggies. I haven’t had any soup recently because it seems hotter than just a bowl of noodles. The noodle shop has air conditioning, but they must keep it set at 85 or so. I do enjoy the soup, so last night I had some. I didn’t spice it up with pepper sauce, and it didn’t make me as hot as I feared.

Then I went to the night market for some peanuts, but the nut guy wasn’t there. A vendor selling bootleg CDs and DVDs was in his place. So I got a few bananas and went home.

I read, looked at some TV, played a game of chess, did some emails, studied Malaysia. The TV had a hot weather warning symbol at the corner of the screen. I guess tomorrow will be hotter than today. About 22:00 I got bored and went out for oysters. I got a pic of them this time.

Outside there was a slight breeze so the weather was bearable. I sat

at a table in the parking lot next to the sidewalk. There were a few people walking about. I hoped I would see someone I knew, but not this night.

I ordered a half dozen grilled oysters and a beer. In the 10 minutes between when the beer was served and the oysters were brought out, the beer got warm. And there is no communicating in the oyster place, so no ice. Absolutely no English is spoken by anyone. Oh well, I’m used to it.

The oysters are served still bubbling in their juices on the half shell. They are seasoned with red pepper, green onions, raw garlic, and oil. If you eat the oysters as soon as they are brought out, the garlic is still too raw. I discovered that if I let the oysters sit and cool for a few minutes after they are served, the raw garlic will cook a bit, making it much less bitter. That’s what I did.

After the oysters, Sea joined me and we shared a Chinese cigar and another beer. It was very relaxing.

My little trip took about an hour and a half. By the time I

returned to my air conditioned apartment my shirt was wet. I jumped in the shower and put on a clean t-shirt for bed.


The TV was right. It is very hot today. It was 89 on my balcony this morning, and the sun wasn’t even out. Now it is sunny and humid.

I got the names of some proxy servers from friends today. Haven’t had the energy to install them yet. Just having them makes me feel better about what is going on here. It kind of took the wind of of my anger sails.

The chess club has scheduled another Saturday game for tomorrow afternoon. I will go, and plan to spend the rest of this evening practicing.

Haven’t decided if I will do my laps tonight, but probably will. I kind of miss them when I don’t do them. Plus I feel a little guilty.

About Charles Kirtley

Have been living in SE Asia and China since 2007. I have an opinion on most every subject, and don't mind sharing them. Lover and collector of worthless facts.
This entry was posted in Living in China and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s