July 20, 2009. Afternoon and Evening in Kuala Lumpur.

At Lunch
At Lunch

Before I finished my post this morning Sea was awake and Vivian was at the door. It was about 10:30. We went for lunch at a Chinese place. Between the three of us we ordered two hot pots. One was vinegar marinated pork and the other was a different kind of pork with vegetables. I liked the vinegar marinated pork best.

Then we walked to the Central Market which is a famous shopping mall where the stores specialize in Malaysian related goods. We looked around there a few hours, and actually I found it interesting. Sea bought a little sun hat that folds up like a paper fan. I think she paid 8 ringgit (about $2.25 USD). Surprisingly, Vivian bought nothing. Unsurprisingly, I bought nothing. We each had a scoop of ice cream before leaving.

There was a fish spa there where you put your feet in water and fish nibble on the dead skin. I have seen this advertised and it is usually very expensive. The place in the mall charged 5 ringgit (about $1.50 USD) for 5 minutes. We paid for 10 minutes each and had our feet nibbled on by fish. It was an odd feeling,

and I’m not sure how much smoother my feet were after.

After the mall we walked to the hotel I had found earlier and bought a half day city tour for today, July 21. It was 80 ringgit each (about $23.00 USD). Then we wandered around Chinatown for a while. We bought some fruit from a street vendor and sat in a cafe to eat it. The girls had never eaten cherries before and loved them. They said they wanted to go back for more.

By this time Sea and Vivian were tired, so they went back to their rooms for a nap. I stayed at the cafe and had a beer. I struck up a conversation with a Malaysian guy. He was of Indian ancestry. He studied Sociology at Cambridge in England, but, like me, he never used his degree. Instead he worked for the government, and was now retired. He wrote out a list of things to do in Penang.

About 20:00 I went back to the hotel and got the girls ready for dinner. They had been IMing their friends all evening. We went to a cafe where there was an outside table and

ordered 5 or 6 dishes. There were a couple of vegetable dishes, a pork and a chicken. My favorite was the frog. Vivian paid, so I’m not sure how much it cost.

Then we went to a reggae club we had seen earlier. We had a beer and two margaritas. The girls jad never tasted margaritas, so that was the second new taste for them this day. Unfortunately, they were so over priced that we didn’t want to stay. We walked home about 23:00 and made it an early evening.


About Charles Kirtley

Have been living in SE Asia and China since 2007. I have an opinion on most every subject, and don't mind sharing them. Lover and collector of worthless facts.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s