Living in China. July 27, 2012. Rain.


The financial arrangement I have with Sea is she pays the rent, and I pay for everything else. I usually get 2000 Yuan out of the ATM for her to spend. When she gets down to 2-300 Yuan we hit the ATM again. Being a retired accountant she keeps a detailed ledger of her expenses. Every day or two she shows the ledger to me. She lists everything she buys, and its price. Last month our total expenses were $1221.70.

Friday Sea needed money, but I was a little worried because of the trouble I had at the ATM the last time I tried to use it, so I just gave her the card and told her to go to the bank herself. I figured if she had trouble she could at least communicate with the bankers, and if worst came to worst, she could get me and my passport to return to the bank with her. But she didn’t have a bit of trouble. She returned home in about 30 minutes with the money and the card.

Friday night the 5 of us went to a little restaurant about a block from the house. We had a beef and cucumber dish, a pork and green pepper dish, a large whole fish, a giant bowl of rice and two beers. The pork dish was my favorite because the peppers were slightly spicy. The total cost was 90 Yuan (about $14.00).

Saturday it got up to 103.5 degrees. For some reason the temperature was reported in both Fahrenheit and Centigrade in yesterday’s paper. Anyway, the reason it got so hot was that a heat wave was being pushed ahead of a tropical storm. Sunday evening the wind began to blow. The temperature became quite comfortable. We slept with the windows open for the first time in weeks. Because of the heat in the afternoon, I didn’t go to chess club, and I doubt anyone else did either.

Monday morning it was still windy, and it began raining around 10:00. About 12:30 there was a break in the rain, and I went out to the news stand for the papers. I went to the park, but the paved paths had big pools of water, so I just went to a cafe for a snack and a beer.

The cafe where I stopped had a picture menu and I ordered what I thought was a dish of green beans and red peppers. It turned out to have some tiny pieces of some kind of meat in it that I couldn’t identify. It was kind of fatty, but definitely wasn’t fat. Every little piece had even smaller bones in it. It was probably some kind of organ meat, but I don’t know which organ has bones in it. The taste was OK, but picking the bones out was more trouble than it was worth, so I just ate a few pieces. The green beans and peppers were good.

The rain began in earnest about 14:00. The wind and rain picked up, and we’ve had the worst storm I’ve seen here. It was so windy that the drapes moved with the windows closed and locked.

This morning, Tuesday, it is still raining, but the wind seems to be subsiding. I think it’s supposed to rain off and on the rest of the day at the tail end of the storm passes over.

Vivian and the baby came over on Monday. Because of the weather she plans to stay home Tuesday.



About Charles Kirtley

Have been living in SE Asia and China since 2007. I have an opinion on most every subject, and don't mind sharing them. Lover and collector of worthless facts.
This entry was posted in Living in China and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s